Although the resume is the most important document in your job search, each time you send one out a cover letter must accompany it. If the resume is a snap shot of you, then the cover letter is the audio that makes it come alive. With all the opinions on this subject, stick to these 10 commandments for an effective cover letter:
1. Thou shall take the necessary time to do it right.
2. Thou shall keep it to one page.
3. Thou shall tailor it to a specific person and position.
Thou shall have an introduction.
5. Thou shall have a body.
6. Thou shall keep it employer centered.
7. Thou shall have a closing.
8. Thou shall make it a writing sample.
9. Thou shall pass the "wow" test.
10. Thou shall make it perfect.
I'd like to know any challenges that you have when you try to write a cover letter. What do you struggle with? Send an email to my blog, and I will answer any questions you have.
Copyright 2011, Dr. Thomas J. Denham, Careers In Transition LLC - Albany.com Blog - Tuesday, January 25, 2011