Downtown Albany has always been full of soulful sounds and sweet melodies so it's only right that all the local talent comes together in one night to give fans a show to remember. That's exactly what the people expect this Friday when 13 blues acts jam throughout 13 Downtown venues except there's a catch. They will be competing against each other for the chance to play at Alive @ 5. The 13 acts that are competing are as follows
- Folding Sky performing at Taste
- Sly Fox & The Hustlers performing at The Bayou Cafe
- Nite Train performing at Legend's on Pearl
- JV & The Cutters performing at Wolf's 1-11
- Kylie & The Sympathetic Strangers performing at Franklin's Tower
- Joe Lowry & The Second Mile Blues Band performing at Blue 82
- The George Boone Blues Band performing at Pearl Street Pub
- Blues Sanctuary performing at McGeary's
- Bent Rail Blues Band performing at The Olde English Pub
- Blackboard Blues performing at Jillian's
- George Fletcher's Foldin' Money performing at 74 State
- Collette & The Mudcats performing at Figure 10
- Charlie Smith Blues Trio performing at The Merry Monk
Each act is playing at their respective venue from 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM. The top 3 acts with the most votes at the end of the night will win the ultimate prize, playing in front of thousands this summer at Alive @ 5 during Local Blues Night.
However, it's not just the musicians that are full of anticipation. The downtown Albany venues, who are each hosting an act, have their own reason to be excited.
"We've had a lot of success with events like this in the past so we were really excited about the opportunity to be a hosting venue for the Blues Music Competition because it allows us to have a different type of crowd that we hope will have fun and come back," says Jason Hayes, owner of Blue 82, "We have a great time hosting local talent and try to do it as much as we can. It helps the artists with exposure while at the same time giving us a chance to show everyone a great night out in downtown Albany."
Shane Spillenger, of The Bayou Cafe and Jillian's believes it is a unique way for the venues to collaborate, "I think it's a great opportunity for all the different bars Downtown to work together and give the people a good time because in the end, we all want downtown Albany to succeed and that's what it's all about."
The Downtown Albany Blues Music Competition is this Friday May 4th from 5:00 - 9:00 PM. There is absolutely no cover charge at any venue nor is there any kind of price of admission, the entire event and transportation by trolley is completely free. For more information, click here. To learn more about the Downtown Albany BID, visit www.downtownalbany.org