Keep the less fortunate in mind this holiday season
For many of us, the holiday season would seem a little hollow if we didn't give back to those in need. There are many ways you can offer your help and support for the needy this season.
- Regional Food Bank of Northeastern New York - From Plattsburgh to Newburgh, in urban, rural, and suburban communities, the Food Bank provides over 20 million pounds of food a year to 1,000 agencies. Because the bulk of its food is donated and it operates very efficiently, the Food Bank is able to provide $10.00-$12.00 worth of food to hungry people for every dollar it spends.
965 Albany-Shaker Road, Latham, NY 12110
- Pennies From Heaven 2012 - Today's Country 1077 'GNA presents our annual Pennies from Heaven fundraising campaign. 'GNA will be collecting money from now until Sunday, December 18th. You can drop off your donation at any local Hannaford Supermarket, Trustco Bank, Rensselaer Honda or any 'GNA event.
Various locations throughout Albany and the Capital Region.
- United Way of the Greater Capital Region - United Way of the Greater Capital Region maintains its commitment to address the root cause of problems and focus on the building blocks for a good life so our children have a bright future and our community remains an attractive place in which to live, work, raise a family and conduct business.
One United Way, P.O. Box 13865 Albany, NY 12212
- Toys For Tots - The mission of the Toys for Tots Program is to collect new, unwrapped toys during October, November and December each year, and distribute those toys as Christmas gifts to needy children in the community in which the campaign is conducted.
Albany, New York
(518) 399-1342 x183
The Salvation Army - The traditional red kettle is an integral part of the Christmas scene, with millions of dollars donated each year to aid needy families, seniors, and the homeless, in keeping with the spirit of the season. Donations provide Christmas dinners, clothing, and toys for families in need.
20 South Ferry Street, Albany, NY 12201
(518) 584-1640 x1693
- UJA Federation of New York -
With your donation, our network can feed the hungry, shelter the homeless, and train the unemployed. We can respond quickly in a crisis. We can direct aid where it will do the most good — efficiently, effectively, and compassionately. And we can help ensure a strong, vital Jewish nation for generations to come.
130 East 59th Street, New York, NY 10022
- Red Cross - The American Red Cross, a humanitarian organization led by volunteers and guided by its Congressional Charter and the Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross Movement, provides relief to victims of disaster and helps people prevent, prepare for, and respond to emergencies.
33 Everett Road, Albany, NY 12205
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital - Their mission is to advance cures, and means of prevention, for pediatric catastrophic diseases through research and treatment. Consistent with the vision of their founder Danny Thomas, no child is denied treatment based on race, religion or a family's ability to pay.
262 Danny Thomas Place, Memphis, TN 38105
There are also plenty of opportunites to donate while you are doing your holiday shopping. Next time you're at the checkout line and are asked if you would like to donate $1, you can ask if you can give a little more.. When you see the bell ringer with the red kettle, instead of offering the quarter in your pocket, grab a buck.
This list offers a great selection of charities, but there are also many others in the area that would be great to give to. Please tell us in the comments below of any other charities or opportunities to make a difference this holiday season!
<< Back To Albany Holiday Guide