Looking to save some cash before prom? Prom on a budget does not mean you have to sacrifice style or fun! While prom can be expensive, there are many alternatives to help save money. Check out some of our cash saving tips to stay within your budget while still looking stunning.
Dress: After picking out a dress and paying for alterations, prom dresses can cost hundreds of dollars. Instead, consider the following to save some cash:
- Borrow or trade a dress from a friend.
- Visit a consignment shop - there are so many hidden gems!
- Watch for dress sales - as prom approaches, stores have huge sales to get rid of inventory.
Shoes: There are tons of styles of shoes, and chances are, you may already have something appropriate! Prom is all about looking great and being comfortable. Sometimes your best bet is to save on shoes and wear a pair you already own and have broken in.
- Have you already been to a dance, wedding or special event? Reuse shoes again!
- Find a friend with the same size and trade or borrow heels.
Getting your hair done for prom can cost $50 or more, and that doesn't even cover a cut or color! Instead, consider the following:
- Do your hair at home. Hair spray and a curling iron can work wonders for hair! Plus, there are so many online tutorials that can help you learn how to do your own hair.
- Go natural! Where your hair how it is prettiest, the way you would every day.
Diamonds and jewels can cost a pretty penny, so consider other options before heading to the jewelry store.
- Visit an antique store and search through vintage jewelry collections.
- Look at consignment stores for jewelry - you're bound to find some hidden treasures!
- Check with your mother or grandmother to borrow some classic jewelry pieces.
A limo can cost over $400 for just a few hours of service.
Instead, consider the following:
- Find someone with a large car and go together! We guarantee you'll have just as much fun at prom no matter what mode of transportation you choose.
- Travel with your date! Spend some time with your date on your way to and from prom - it's not only fun, but romantic.
No matter how much you spend, prom is a guaranteed to be a fun night of dancing and spending time with friends! Just enjoy the experience and don't fret too much about all the details!
MORE TO READ:
Prom Accessories | Prom Dress Tips | Prom Hairstyles | Prom Venues | After Prom Plans
Check out our prom checklist to see what accessories you might need!
Remember to be safe and have fun on prom night!
« Back to the Albany Prom Day Guide