Guide to Albany
4/6/2012 :: Albany, NY :: Albany Jobs :: Contests :: Blogs :: Advertising :: Deals :: Classifieds :: My Account :: My Planner :: Sitemap
What's New in Albany, Schenectady & Troy

Community: August 2011 Archives

The Belleayre Music Festival is turning its final show of the season, the talented Bela Fleck, into a benefit to aid relief from Sunday's record-breaking flood in the Catskills.
Nothing beats baseball in the summer heat and this summer the Tri-City ValleyCats have proven that to be true. For the 8th season in a row the team has drawn a record breaking crowd.
This year a new event fires up a little friendly competition in the Capital Region. The first ever, Downtown Albany Jazz Fest Competition pits top jazz artist from across the region against each other for a chance to perform as the opening act at the Riverfront Annual Jazz Fest.
Who's headlining the news with their orchestral accolades in Albany? It isn't some visiting group - it's our very own Albany Symphony Orchestra.
Since the founding of the U.S., millions of Irish citizens emigrated to America and stayed to raise families who became generations. Heck, almost everybody has a little Irish in them somewhere these days. Just look at the popularity of the annual Irish 2000 Music & Arts Fest every year.

But I digress, what I really meant to tell you about was this:

Centuries after the Irish moved their families the America, the Irish-American Heritage Museum, dedicated to remembering the history of these American citizens of Irish descent, is moving as well.
Yesterday at noon, Albany unveiled the city's first public access electric car charging station. The new charge center has two levels, can accommodate multiple vehicles, and means a giant step towards sustainability by the Capital City.
J.B. Shuck, who played for the Tri-City ValleyCats in 2008 was called up to the Houston Astros from AAA Oklahoma City earlier this month. Shuck became the 24th former ValleyCat to reach the big show. He joins 2009 ValleyCats Jose Altuve and J.D. Martinez, who were both called up earlier this summer.
It seems an oxymoron to be "newly historical", but that's close to what happened to Washington Park in Troy, NY, at a special unveiling last Wednesday.
The Tri-City ValleyCats have really been packing the fans into Joe Bruno Stadium this season. For the first time since the 2002 season, the 'Cats have reached the 100,000 attendance mark before the month of August.

Albany.com :: Your Official Guide To Albany NY & The Capital Region

Full-Service Internet Marketing: Search Engine Optimization, Website Design and Development by Mannix Marketing, Inc.
Mannix Marketing, Inc. is headquartered near Albany in Glens Falls, New York

For Advertising Information Only: Phone: 518-743-9424 :: Fax: 518-743-0337 :: Advertising Options
All Rights Reserved © 2003-2012, Copyright Mannix Marketing, Inc. Copyright Policies
Other Online Guides: Clifton Park, Saratoga, Lake George, Glens Falls, and the Adirondacks
Albany.com is a privately owned web site and is not affiliated with the City of Albany, Albany County or any other government organization.