Networking is a contact sport. Are you taking full advantage of the networking opportunities available to you right now? Here are just a few tips I’ve learned about the neglected art of schmoozing:
1. Get Goals – What is my objective for each event? How many contacts have I added this month?
2. Practice WAITing – Why AM I Talking? Am I spending more time talking, or listening?
3. Business Cards – How many did I give out and collect this week? Is my pipeline growing?
4. 3 Circles – Have I added to my inner circle of closest contacts, my middle circle of close associates, and my outer circle of lesser known contacts?
5. Rule of 200 – Everyone knows at least 200 people. Have I tapped into other peoples’ networks to build relationships?
6. Coffee Talks – Have I set up several one-on-one meetings this month with my best contacts to exchange ideas?
7. TOMA – Am I creating a Top Of Mind Awareness of my message to others?
8. Evaluate Regularly – What have I learned? What’s working and what’s not? Am I being patient and persistent?
COPYRIGHT 2011, DR. THOMAS J. DENHAM, CAREERS IN TRANSITION LLC – ALBANY.COM – FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 18, 2011