Albany Tulip Festival: Pre- & Post-Festival Events
Mother's Day Weekend in Beautiful Washington Park
ALBANY NY - Each year Albany's Tulip Festival features the best in live music, food and craft vendors, and of course, beautiful tulips throughout the weekend. But did you know that there are several events leading into the weekend, as well as some after? We've rounded up the best pre- and post-Tulip-Fest events that take place in Albany every year!
Events Leading Up To Tulip Fest:
- Tulip Queen Nominations - Know a young woman who dedicates her time to improving her community? Nominate her for Tulip Queen! Each year, the City of Albany crowns a young woman as Tulip Queen to work on a community service project and receive a scholarship. (Note - the deadline for nominations has passed for 2016.)
- Mother of the Year Contest Nominations - Nominate the mom in your life for Mother of the Year! The winner is announced during the Festival and will receive a variety of great prizes! (Note - nominations wil be accepted until April 18.)
- Champagne on the Park - Support and celebrate the Lark Street BID with local gourmet foods, dancing and of course, champagne, in the tulip-filled Washington Park. This is a formal event that is always sure to be a great time.
- Washington Park Tulip Tour - Learn more about the variety of flowers planted for Tulip Fest with City Gardener Jessica Morgan. Free. Spaces are limited and reservations are required; call 518.434.2032 to reserve your place. (Weather permitting).
- Tulip Festival Luncheon - An opportunity to say farewell to the previous year's Tulip Queen! Proceeds from the Luncheon will benefit the Tulip Fund at the Community Foundation for the Greater Capital Region.
- Street Scrubbing - For as long as the Tulip Fest has been in place, so has the annual street scrubbing! The traditional Dutch ceremony of scrubbing the streets clean before a big celebration is the official kickoff to Tulip Festival Weekend.
Post-Tulip Festival Fun
- Tulip Bulb Sale - If the weather permits and the tulips sprouted, you can dig up your own, or purchase bulbs that have already been dug, on the Saturday and Sunday following Albany's Tulip Festival. This great event allows you to take home the beautiful tulips that were seen in Washington Park throughout the festival.
- Share your awesome Tulip Fest photos with us on our Facebook or mention us on Twitter!
Photo Credit: Joe Grant Photography