Tour of Empire State Plaza In Albany New York
The New York State Capitol is the state capitol building of the U.S. state of New York. Housing the New York Legislature, it is located in the state capital of Albany on State Street in Capitol Park. The building, completed in 1899 at a cost of $25 million (roughly half a billion current dollars), was the most expensive government building of its time. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1979.
The Capitol was constructed between 1867 and 1899 and inspired by the Hôtel de Ville (City Hall) in Paris, France. Three teams of architects designed it. The building is constructed in both Romanesque and Renaissance styles. This has led some historians to dub it "The Battle of the Styles." Notable architectural features include its interior "Million Dollar Staircase" and massive, 166-foot (51 m) long exterior Eastern Staircase.
The Capitol exterior is made of white granite from Hallowell, Maine, and the building incorporates marble cut by state prisoners at Sing Sing. The granite structure is 220 feet (67 m) tall at its highest point, and it is one of ten U.S. state capitols that does not have a domed roof. Underground tunnels connect it to the Empire State Plaza and Alfred E. Smith Building. The building's exterior is currently undergoing restoration.
The Cultural Education Center is attached to the south side of the Empire State Plaza in Albany, New York. Specifically located on Madison Avenue, it faces northward towards the New York State Capitol building. Construction of the building was completed in 1976.
The eleven story, 1.5 million square foot (135,000 square meter) building houses the main offices of New York State Office of Cultural Education (part of the New York State Education Department). Also located within the building are the New York State Museum (Floors 1-4), the New York State Archives, and the New York State Library (Floor 7).
The Egg is a performing arts venue in Albany, New York resembling an egg. The building was constructed between 1966 and 1978 and was designed by Wallace Harrison. The engineer responsible for the application of the design, along with any changes to it, was Peter A. Steinborn. It is located in the northest corner of the Empire State Plaza.
The Egg in the world. Although it appears to sit on a small platform in the Empire State Plaza, a concrete girdle that surrounds The Egg is attached to a stem that goes down six stories into the Plaza to support the weight of the inclined building.