The meatball: staple of all Italian-American spaghetti dishes. Meatballs have entered the hearts and minds of Americans nearly as many times as they’ve entered our stomachs- from Alka Seltzer commercials proclaiming, “That’s a spicy meatball!” to the Saturday Night Live “Schweddy Balls” skit- the meatball has become embedded into our culture.
But who has the best balls? This question of the ages is exactly what Albany, NY is on a mission to find out.
On Sunday, September 28th, Downtown Albany’s Business Improvement District will host “Food Fight- MeatBall Edition” where numerous restaurants will showcase their favorite balls. and let the people decide the champions- it’s Ball-ocracy at its finest.
But this competition isn’t restricted to just the typical meatball: it is a showcase of all things “balls.” Creativity is not only allowed, but encouraged for this event. With a variety of categories ranging from “Best Use of Fish” to “Best Dessert Ball” there is going to be a type of ball to meet everyone’s liking.
So can you handle the spiciest of meatballs? Can you stomach the challenge?
UPDATE 9/29: Winners announced:
- Best Traditional MeatBalls | The Capital – American Lounge Eatery & Lounge |
- Chef Keith Dambrose
- Best Use of Fish | Jack’s Oyster House | Chef Larry Schepici
- Best Vegetarian or Vegan | The Hollow Bar + Kitchen | Chef Henry Ciccone
- Best Dessert Ball | Jack’s Oyster House | Chef Larry Schepici
- Most Unique or Creative | The Merry Monk | Chef Daniel Miller
- Best in Show | Jack’s Oyster House | Chef Larry Schepici