Get ready for Albany VegFest 2016 – this food-centric, educational festival hosted by the Albany Vegan Network is bigger and better than ever this year with over 70 vendors, 5 speakers, free goodies, a kids corner, and live music throughout the day.
The Albany VegFest, now in its ninth year, is slated for Saturday, June 4th, from 10am to 5pm at the Polish Community Center on Washington Avenue Extension in Albany. The first 100 through the door will receive a gift bag of goodies – there will also be free non-dairy ice cream provided by Ben & Jerry’s.
Over 70 vendors will be in attendance, including Humble Bee, New York State Humane Association, Death Wish Coffee Company, Vegan Outreach, Healthy Gourmet To-Go LLC, Chatham Animal Haven, Vital Eats, and so many more.
“This is going to be one of our biggest festivals to-date,” VegFest Coordinator and one of the founding members of the Albany Vegan Network Jan Lajeunesse said in a statement. “We’re over capacity with our vendors, more than a dozen of which are food-centric, serving a wide variety of vegan foods including pizza, hot dogs, ice cream, and everything in between. We have a house band this year – playing throughout the day. And of course our awesome speakers that include health and wellness experts and professional chefs.”
The live music playing all day will be provided by Stranger at Home, a local, acoustic, three-piece string band. Several lively speakers are set to give informative and fun presentations throughout the day as well.
The lineup for speakers is as follows:
- Lynne Westmoreland of the Institute for Humane Education is presenting “Your Lunch Affects Everyone!” from 10:30am to 11:30am
- Robert Grillo, Director of Free from Harm, is presenting “Fiction, Facts, & Food Choices” from 11:45am to 12:45pm
- Jane Velez-Mitchell of JaneUnchained, Journalist & Author, is presenting “Save Money, Save Animals” from 1pm to 2pm
- Dr. Angie Eakin of Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine is presenting “Super Vegan – laying the foundation to take your health to the next level” from 2:15pm to 3:15pm
- Fran Costigan, Pastry Chef & Cookbook Author, is presenting a cooking demo on “Quick, Easy, Luscious Chocolate Desserts Vegan, Ethical, & Gluten Free” from 3:45pm to 4:45pm
Children have their own special schedule in the kids corner:
- 11am: Book reading of Lena Of Vegitopia and the Mystery of the Missing Animals by author Sybil Severin
- 11:30am: Book reading (poems) of Our Farm: By the Animals of Farm Sanctuary by author Maya Gottfried
- 12pm: Kids yoga for ages 4 to 9 with Crystal and Christy
- 1:30pm: Kids meditation for ages 8+ or 6+ with parents, with Glory-Anne
- 3pm: Kids yoga ages 10+ with Sarah
- 4pm: Book reading of Dave Loves Chickens by Sybil Severin
- Crafts with Mrs. Red Shoes throughout the day
Founded in 2005 by five local vegans, the Albany Vegan Network has been the Capital Region’s longest-standing vegan and vegetarian nonprofit. This organization supports those who are interested in living a healthy lifestyle, protecting and sustaining the environment, and advocating for animal rights.
Albany VegFest is sponsored by A Well-fed World, Albany.com, Honest Weight Food Co-Op, Natural Awakenings, Sproutman, and VegFund.