Did you know 1 in 10 Albany community members struggle with food insecurity? This summer Albany is gearing up to fight hunger and you can help! From now through August 3rd, the City of Albany and The Food Pantries for the Capital District will be collecting nonperishable food items at more than 20 Albany locations.
Helping Since 1980
The Food Pantries for the Capital District held their first food drive with The City of Albany in 1980. To this day, the two have worked in a public/private partnership to combat hunger in a variety of ways. In a statement, Executive Director for The Food Pantries in the Capital District, Natasha Pernicka said, “During the summer months, there were more than 33,000 visits by children to our 61 member food pantries.” When school lets out each summer, the need to feed children dramatically increases. The timing of this city-wide initiative is perfect to help combat hunger in Albany.
With the generosity of Albany last year this food-drive raised 2,000 pounds of food; this year’s goal is 2,500 pounds.
How Can You Help?
A small gesture can make a big difference. Healthy nonperishable food items can be dropped off at any of the following locations:
- Albany City Hall– 24 Eagle Street (Monday-Friday 8:30am-5pm)
- Albany Heritage Area Visitors Center– 25 Quackenbush Square (M-F 9am-4pm, Sat 10am-3pm, Sun 11am-3pm)
- Albany Fire Department– 26 Broad Street
- Albany Police Departments– 165 Henry Johnson Boulevard, 36 Western Avenue, 126 Arch Street
- Alive at Five Concert Series– 7/20, 7/27, 8/3
- Arbor Hill Community Center– 47 N. Lark St
- Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception– 125 Eagle Street
- Downtown Business Improvement District (BID)– 21 Lodge St, Floor 1 (M-F 8:30am-5pm)
- Honest Weight Food Co-op– 100 Watervliet Avenue (Open 7 days a week from 8am-10pm)
- KeyBank– All 9 City of Albany locations (M-F 9am-4pm), 66 South Pearl Street, 561 New Scotland Ave, 62 New Scotland Ave, 911 Central Ave, 1900 Central Ave, 19 Corporate Woods Blvd, 112 Grand Concourse, 95 Wolf Road, 1196 Western Ave
- St. Francis of Assisi- 391 Delaware Avenue (M-F 9am-3pm)
- St. Peter’s Health Partners– 5 locations, St. Peter’s Hospital, Albany Memorial Hospital, St. Peter’s Regional ALS Center, Samaritan Hospital, St. Mary’s Hospital
- The Central Avenue Business Improvement District– 176 Central Avenue (M-F 8am-4pm)
- The Food Pantries for the Capital District– 32 Essex Street (M-F 8am-4pm), Trinity Alliance of the Capital Region, 15 Trinity Place
Cash donations are also accepted! The Food Pantries for the Capital District will be accepting cash donations on their website, at their office and at the Alive at Five concert series. As little as $1 can provide 6.25 pounds of food. $10 can feed up to 52 people. A small amount of money can make a large difference- help today!
More About The Food Pantries
Each year The Food Pantries for the Capital District are able to distribute more than a million meals to families in The City of Albany. In it’s 38th year, the coalition of The Food Pantries for the Capital District
is at their highest level of service. The success of The Food Pantries for the Capital District would not be possible without the help of generous neighbors and partnering businesses. This years City-Wide Food Drive is brought to you by The City of Albany, The Food Pantries for the Capital District, KeyBank, St. Peter’s Health Partners and CDTA.