One of Albany’s most popular attractions, the New York State Museum, reopened earlier this week with new protocols in place. Learn more about their temporary hours and days of operation below, and see what else is happening in the Albany area.
Welcome Back to the New York State Museum
On Monday, May 17, the New York State Museum opened its doors to the public for the first time since closing last March. For the health and safety of all visitors, the Museum will be open at a limited capacity. The current hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 10am-4pm, and they are closed on Saturdays, Sundays, and all state-observed holidays until further notice. Admission is free, but reservations are required.
Get Ready for the Return of Arena Football
Are you excited to watch some arena football in Albany? The Albany Empire’s first home game of the season is scheduled for Saturday, May 29, and they will be facing off against the Ontario Bandits. Individual game tickets are now available for the Albany Empire’s four home games at the Times Union Center:
- Saturday, May 29: Albany Empire vs. Ontario Bandits
- Saturday, June 21: Albany Empire vs. Orlando Predators
- Saturday, July 17: Albany Empire vs. Jersey Flight
- Saturday, July 31: Albany Empire vs. Carolina Cobras
Mark Your Calendar for the Jazz on Jay Summer Concert Series
The popular Jazz on Jay summer concert series in Schenectady returns this year with an awesome lineup of jazz musicians. Similar to past years, the concerts will be held on Jay Street from 12:00pm-1:30pm. The first performance is scheduled for Thursday, June 10, and it will feature Azzaam Hameed & Friends.
New Trolley Service Provides Free Transportation to Schenectady Greenmarket
In partnership with CDTA, the City of Schenectady, and Highmark Blue Shield of Northeastern New York, the Schenectady Greenmarket launched a new free pilot trolley service on Sunday, May 16. This complimentary trolley service provides transportation to and from the market for residents in the Hamilton Hill, Mont Pleasant, and Eastern Avenue neighborhoods as well as on Union Street.
The trolley service will operate on Sundays from 9:30am-2:30pm throughout the Schenectady Greenmarket’s outdoor market season. Visit their website to see the trolley route and more details.
Albany-Based Cardona’s Market Acquires Stores From Roma Foods
Change is in the air as the Albany-based Cardona’s Market acquires the two Roma Foods stores, which are located in Latham and Saratoga Springs. According to the Albany Business Review, Roma Foods has been in operation for 75 years, but the owners are ready to move on from the business and let Cardona’s Market take over. The article notes that both Roma Foods stores will undergo renovations but remain open as they become part of Cardona’s.
Find Events & Things to Do in the Capital Region
Check out a variety of upcoming events in the Capital Region and have some fun:
- 2021 Virtual Albany Tulip Festival: Happening through May 31
- Lupine Fest 2021: Happening through June 5
- St. Anne Institute Annual Plant Sale: May 21
- WildPlay Thacher – 2021 Opening Celebration: May 22 – 23
- Pop-Up Shop at Colonie Center: May 22 – 23
- Pottery Sale and Garage Sale: May 23
- Double H Ranch’s Hit the Links for Health & Happiness: May 24
- Matty Stecks and the 518!: Open for Take-Out Virtual Concert Series: May 24
- Albany Business Review – Cardona’s Market acquires Roma Foods stores