From Memorial Day weekend events to new restaurants, there is a lot to be excited about in the Albany area. Check out this week’s news/events roundup for all the latest announcements and updates you should know about.
Albany’s Tulip Dig Returns & More Upcoming Events
Explore some of the highlights from the Albany events calendar:
- 2021 Virtual Albany Tulip Festival: Happening through Monday, May 31
- Lupine Fest 2021: Happening through Saturday, June 5
- Fair Food Fest at the Altamont Fairgrounds: Friday, May 28 – Sunday, May 30
- Troy Night Out: May: Friday, May 28
- 2021 Tulip Dig and Sale: Saturday, May 29 – Sunday, May 30
- Albany Empire vs. Columbus Lions: Saturday, May 29
- Memorial Day Albany Sightseeing Cruise: Monday, May 31
- Mix & Match Tennis – Schenectady, NY: Thursday, June 3
See the full events calendar here >>
The Tri-City ValleyCats Are Ready to Play Ball
Although the 2020 season was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Tri-City ValleyCats are back and ready to win as part of the Frontier League. Home games will once again be played at Joseph L. Bruno Stadium in Troy, and the first home game of the season is on Friday, June 4, when the ValleyCats take on the New Jersey Jackals.
Check out the full home schedule >>
Restaurant News to Know in the Capital Region
We’ve rounded up some of the latest restaurant news from around the region, including:
- Mexican Radio: Mexican Radio in Schenectady has officially reopened as of Thursday, May 13. They are currently open on Wednesday – Sunday each week for dine-in and takeout.
- Adani’s Kitchen: Take a trip to Lark Street to try the Caribbean and American Southern food at Adani’s Kitchen. The restaurant is located at 290 Lark Street and opened in mid-May.
- Seasons Cafe & Tea House: Order a cup of coffee and enjoy some delicious food at the new Seasons Cafe & Tea House in Troy. The cafe opened on Thursday, May 14, and they offer an excellent selection of coffee, coffee drinks, and espresso creations.
- The Skinny Pancake: A new crepe-focused restaurant called The Skinny Pancake is expected to open in downtown Albany later this fall. This will be the 8th Skinny Pancake location, which originated in Vermont.
Get Fit at the Empire State Plaza This Summer
The popular Fitness at the Plaza events in Albany will be held on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays from June 1 – August 30 at West Capitol Park. These events are free and open to everyone, but participants are required to sign a waiver in order to participate, and pre-registration is required. Please bring your own exercise mat and towel if you’re attending.
Albany Public Library Reopens Branch, Expands Hours
Borrowing books in Albany is about to get even easier as the Albany Public Library reopens their Washington Ave. Branch for full in-person services on Tuesday, June 1. The Washington Ave. Branch is the library’s largest location, and after closing on March 14, 2020, it reopened for curbside pickup only on March 15, 2021.
In addition, Albany Public Library’s Arbor Hill/West Hill, Bach, Delaware, Howe, and Pine Hills Branches will add 6-8 more hours per week starting June 1.
Discover top attractions in the Capital Region >>
- Albany Public Library – Washington Ave. Opens & Other Branches Add Hours on June 1
- Times Union – Vermont creperie opening Albany location
- Times Union – Caribbean, Southern restaurant opens on Lark Street