Summer concerts are happening every week in and near Albany, an iconic hiking trail has reopened at Thacher State Park, and Crossgates Mall has a new store. Check out our full roundup of local news and events below!
Mark Your Calendar for These Upcoming Events
There’s a lot coming up in the Capital Region. To help you decide what to do, we’ve rounded up some highlights from our events calendar:
- Free Summer Meals Kick Off Event: Friday, July 9
- The NoLaNauts at The Linda: Friday, July 9
- A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood | Bites Camera Action Movie Series: Friday, July 9
- Car Show at Crossgates Mall: Saturday, July 10
- 2021 Powers Park Concert Series: Blue Hand Luke: Saturday, July 10
- Freedom Park Summer Concert Series: Carmen & Lief’s Guilty Pleasures: Saturday, July 10
- Moana – Free Summer Movie at the Palace Theatre: Tuesday, July 13
- Alive at Five: Amy Helm and The Sea The Sea: Wednesday, July 14
- Freedom Park Summer Concert Series: Donnie P & Celebration Family: Wednesday, July 14
- Jazz on Jay: Center Square: Thursday, July 15
- Rock the Block: Aquanett: Thursday, July 15
5 Newsy Updates From Around the Albany Area
Explore the Iconic Indian Ladder Trail at Thacher State Park
Summer is a great time of year to explore the area and go hiking! There are a variety of hiking trails available at Thacher State Park in Voorheesville, and the park’s iconic Indian Ladder Trail recently opened for the season. Plan a visit and soak up all the spectacular views.
Washington Park Farmers Market Now Open For Summer
Opening day of the Washington Park Farmers Market in Albany was last Saturday, July 3. If you’re looking to purchase some fresh food and local products during summer, then stop by the Knox Street Mall area of Washington Park on Saturdays from 10:00am-2:00pm.
Upgrade Your Wardrobe at the New Urban Outfitters at Crossgates Mall
Crossgates Mall announced Urban Outfitters is now open for business on the lower level across from American Eagle and Apple. This is the first and only Urban Outfitters location in the Capital Region, and you’ll find an excellent selection of women’s and men’s clothing, accessories, and home product assortments.
Rare Plant Discovered at the Albany Pine Bush
On their Facebook page, the Albany Pine Bush Preserve Commission posted about the discovery of a rare plant that hasn’t been seen in our area for decades. Named the “Virginia marbleseed plant,” this state endangered plant historically grew in the “Karner” hamlet of Albany but hasn’t been documented there since 1923. Read more about the plant in their Facebook post, and check out the Pine Bush for yourself this summer.
Go On an Exciting Dinosaur Adventure in Altamont
Did somebody say dinosaur? Yes, later this month, a new dinosaur-themed event is coming to the Altamont Fairgrounds. Dinosaur Adventure is a 30-45 minute drive-thru event where you’ll encounter life-size dinosaurs from the comfort and safety of your vehicle. Tickets are limited, and Dinosaur Adventure will take place on July 23-25, July 28-31, and August 1.