Congratulations to the three winners of the Downtown Albany Blues Music Competition held last Friday night.
These top three blues acts get to play at Alive @ 5 this summer:
- The George Boone Blues Band
- Joe Lowry & The Second Miles Blues
- Blackboard Blues
The 1st Annual Blues Music Competition
consisted of thirteen acts playing in thirteen different venues
throughout downtown Albany. Those in attendance were free to tour the
venues and vote for their favorite acts.
The three acts with the most
votes at the end of the competition won an opportunity to play at Alive @
5 during the Local Blues Night on July 5. Wondering who played where? Read on…
“Over one thousand people came Downtown to see the acts on Friday
night,” explained Georgette Steffens, Executive Director at the Downtown
Albany BID, “We were flooded with comments during the evening about how
Downtown felt like Bourbon Street and how much fun people were having
enjoying the music at all the different venues. There may have even been
a little dancing going on.”
The thirteen blues music acts included:
- The George Boone Blues Band performed at Pearl Street Pub (winner)
- Joe Lowry & The Second Mile Blues Band performed at Blue 82 (winner)
- Blackboard Blues performed at Jillian’s (winner)
- Blues Sanctuary performed at McGeary’s
- Nite Train performed at Legend’s on Pearl
- Folding Sky performed at Taste
- Sly Fox & The Hustlers performed at Bayou Café.
- George Fletcher’s Foldin’ Money performed at 74 State
- Kylie & The Sympathetic Strangers performed at Franklin’s Tower
- Collette & The Mudcats performed at Figure 10
- JV & The Cutters performed at Wolf’s 1-11
- Bent Rail Blues performed at The Olde English Pub
- Charlie Smith Blues Trio performed at The Merry Monk
Put on by the Special Event division of the City of Albany, Alive @ 5 is a free summer concert series that
occurs each Thursday from early June to late August at the Albany
Riverfront Park’s Corning Preserve. Concert goers can enjoy free entertainment and
recreation during the hours of 5:00 PM to 8:00 PM, rain or shine.
Find more information
about Alive @ 5 here, or call 518.434.2032.
Did you catch any of the 13 blues acts on Friday night? Who do you think deserved to win?