Are you – or do you know – a community-minded young woman with clear leadership skills and community outreach goals?
Nominations are now open for the 2017 Tulip Queen and Court! The Albany Tulip Queen is a young woman between the ages of 18 and 24 who resides in Albany County and is dedicated to continuing Albany’s long-standing legacy of community service during her year-long reign (May 2017 – May 2018).
The tradition of the Albany Tulip Festival and Tulip Court stretches back 68 years to 1948. The Tulip Queen and four members of her court are chosen by a committee of local leaders through an extensive interview process and then crowned at the annual Tulip Festival. The Tulip Queen and Court spend their year working together on Albany community outreach programs and educational initiatives.
The Tulip Queen will receive a $5,000 scholarship and each member of the court will receive a $1500 scholarship upon completion of the program.
- Young women between the ages of 18 and 24 may nominate themselves or be nominated to the court.
- Nominees are encouraged to be community-minded, well-versed in the history and traditions of Albany, and engaged in leadership and community service initiatives.
- Nominations are reviewed by the Selection Committee (former Tulip Queens, Court members, local leaders, and volunteers).
- Candidates who meet the selection criteria are interviewed by the Selection Committee.
- Semi-Finalists are invited to attend the Tulip Tea, where the Selection Committee has a chance to get to know the nominees in person.
- Each Semi-Finalist receives a prepared question for the final interview and will have 10 minutes to provide their answers. (Note: the final interview also includes an unprepared question.)
- Five finalists are chosen following the final interview to serve as the Tulip Court.
- Judges continue to review and observe the finalists before determining who will be crowned as Tulip Queen at the annual festival. (Source)
How to Nominate The Extraordinary Young Women in Your Life
Nominations may be submitted online through April 3 at www.albanytulipqueen.com.
You may also submit a letter detailing the nominee’s qualifications to:
Albany Tulip Queen Selection Committee
City Hall, Room 402
24 Eagle St
Albany, New York 12207