Albany streets offer such an authentic visual that they’ve invited a lot of interest, which explains why producers for the Netflix series “The Punisher” have scheduled a heavy round of filming this week.
After initial alerts from the Albany Police Department about road closures, detours and delays for Saturday, July 21 off Central Ave. between Clinton and Washington aves, it looks like the disruptions will be more pervasive throughout the week as Disney’s ABC Studios is at work.
Residents and motorists are being advised of this disruption, not just for traffic reasons but public safety. The action being filmed between 6 and 9:30 a.m. on Saturday will feature a car chase, simulated gun fire and gun fight — but it won’t be real.
The Central Avenue Business Improvement District posted more information about the production on its Facebook page.
“This is NOT a real fight — it is a scene for a TV show,” the post reads. “Albany Police Officers will be supervising and assisting us with our work to ensure everyone’s’ safety.”
Saturday’s film schedule will mean the greatest length and points of disruption because of the road closure Saturday from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. on the Clinton Ave. ramp from Water Street to Broadway.
Parking will also be prohibited on Clinton Avenue, both north and south sides from N Lake Avenue east and west 10 spaces on each side.
All roads that intersect will N. Lake Avenue will be closed at either Robin Street and/or Quail Street. The roads will also be closed at N. Lake Avenue intersections. Residents will have access at all times to their homes but will need to enter and exit at either Quail Street or Robin Street.
Starting Tuesday, another set of detours was put into place until 11:30 p.m. Saturday to accommodate the following closures:
- Clinton Avenue ramp from Water Street to Broadway
- Colonie Street ramp from I787 southbound
- Water Street from N. Ferry Street to Colonie Street
- Water Street from Colonie Street to Orange Street
- Livingston Avenue from Centre Street to Water Street
The Times Union followed with a more extensive report about detours in place until Saturday night:
- Colonie Street ramp from I-787 southbound, motorists will be directed to stay on I-787 south to the Clinton Avenue exit to Broadway, then left onto Broadway to Orange Street, then right onto Water Street (to their destination in downtown) or continue south on Water Street to the Broadway/Quay Connector intersection, left onto Broadway/Quay Connector to Quay Street, left onto Quay Street north to the intersection of Colonie and Water streets.
- If your destination is one of the state parking lots under I-787: Follow the detour for the Colonie St./Water St. ramp closure to the intersection of Colonie Street & Water Street. Continue west on Colonie Street to Centre Street/Erie Boulevard, then left onto Centre Street to the parking lot destination.
- Motorists normally exiting the parking lots or businesses on Centre Street or Erie Boulevard will need to follow the detour to access I-787 north or south or to the Thruway: From the Colonie Street/Erie Boulevard/Centre Street intersection, head north on Erie Boulevard to Erie Street, then left onto Erie Street to Broadway, right onto Broadway to the I-787 North/South entrance ramp in the village of Menands
- Caution warning for drivers of trucks and buses during these disruptions. Low bridge signs are posted at 12’3″ on Broadway and 10’8″ on N. Pearl Street.
On Friday. from noon until 9 p.m., road closures will be at:
- Montgomery Street between N. Lawrence Street and Colonie Street
- Colonie Street between Centre Street and Montgomery Street
- The roads will be closed without a detour for the duration of the work.