The wait is finally over! This Saturday, September 15, Pearlpalooza returns for a 9th year in downtown Albany. Enjoy delicious food from local vendors, fun community activities, and incredible musical acts from around the region and across the globe, including Superorganism, El Modernist, Caroline Rose, and more! Read on for all the scoop on this year’s festival.
This Year’s Lineup
Bands will be performing at two locations throughout the day: the Gasko & Meyer Stage at North Pearl Street and Sheridan Avenue, as well as the O’Connell & Aronowitz Stage at North Pearl Street and Pine Street.
- 1 PM, O’Connell & Aronowitz Stage
- Winners of this year’s Lucky Strike Battle of the Bands, El Modernist takes indie rock to a new level. The band’s sound merges “upbeat, catchy garage-rock with a modern, alternative hip-hop.”
- 2 PM, Gasko & Meyer Stage
- Since forming in 2015, Albany-based Good Fiction has been bringing their exciting, high-energy sound to the stage. Self-described as “dusk strut buzz rock,” the band carries a message of hope that “rock isn’t dead – it’s just changing.”
- 3 PM, O’Connell & Aronowitz Stage
- The Huffington Post has said Kitten’s lead singer Chloe Chaidez is “at the forefront of an impending female rock revolution.” Intense and hypnotic, Chaidez’s live performances bring the powerful meaning behind Kitten’s lyrics to a whole new level.
The Greeting Committee
- 4 PM, Gasko & Meyer Stage
- As soon as their debut EP It’s Not All Bad hit the Kansas air waves, The Greeting Committee “captivated the hearts of [their] listeners.” Sentimental and powerfully written, their performance is another must-see on Saturday.
- 5 PM, O’Connell & Aronowitz Stage
- Caroline Rose’s songs are “wrapped in a sprightly, angsty pop burrito.” Her new album, Loner, carries a punk vibe with its catchy synth, surf guitar, and sheer lyrical power. According to a recent release, she’s received critical acclaim from national press outlets including NPR and Rolling Stone.
- 6 PM, Gasko & Meyer Stage
- Comprised of musicians from all over the world, Superorganism is “a sprawling, multi-limbed collection of… pop culture junkies all living under one roof in London’s east end.” Their unique, technicolor pop has captivated audiences since their debut in 2017.
“You do not want to miss a minute of music!” said WEQX program director Jeff Morad in a statement. “For the first time in the event’s history, all four of the national acts are female-fronted. While this was a complete coincidence, we’re proud that this year’s Pearlpalooza will be a real celebration of women who rock.”
In addition to the day’s stellar performances, Pearlpalooza will feature two community-oriented events:
- 11 AM – 12 PM, Gasko & Meyer Stage
- Free for festival attendees
- Instructors from The Hot Yoga Spot in Albany will lead a street-wide yoga class for festival attendees. 250 attended the massive yoga event last year, and more than 200 have pre-registered for 2018! For more information about this year’s Yogapalooza, visit TheHotYogaSpot.com/blog/yogapalooza-2018.
Pearlpalooza Cornhole Tournament
- 12 PM, North Pearl Street
- Sold out
- Eighteen teams will compete in a friendly competition for hundreds of dollars in prizes from WEQX, the Downtown Albany BID, Braven & DuClaw breweries, Albany Distilling Company, and more. The Saratoga Strings Band will provide the soundtrack for the inaugural tournament.
“We are thrilled to work with so many amazing partners and sponsors to help showcase the vibrancy of Downtown with this annual festival,” said Downtown Albany BID executive director Georgette Steffens in a statement. “While world-class live music is still the focus of Pearlpalooza, great local vendors and added elements like Yogapalooza and the new cornhole tournament make this a true community event and a celebration that can be enjoyed by all. We look forward to welcoming 10,000 attendees on North Pearl Street this weekend.”
Heading to Albany but not sure where to park? All day $5 parking is available at the Riverfront Garage, located at Broadway and Columbia Street, just two blocks away from the festivities.
Pearlpalooza is presented by Remarkable Liquids in association with WEQX, The Downtown Albany Business Improvement District (BID), and Sugar Productions.