It’s all about the fun and fireworks this summer in Albany! Check out upcoming events and stay updated on restaurant news, a photo contest, and more.
Events to Get Excited About Around Albany
Check out what’s going on this weekend and beyond:
- Tri-City ValleyCats Game & Fireworks: August 6
- Seen Opening Reception at Albany Center Gallery: August 6
- Community Block Party in Troy: August 7
- Albany Antiques & Collectibles Extravaganza: August 7 – 15
- Movies Under the Stars! – Jurassic Park: August 9
- Schoharie County Sunshine Fair: August 10 – 15
- Capital Concert Series – Lit: August 11
- Friday the 13th Boat Cruise: August 13
- NY Capital District Renaissance Festival: August 14 & 15
Albany Happenings: Skyway, Sculptures & More
Construction Continues for the Albany Skyway
The Albany Skyway is slated to open by the end of this year, and construction has been underway since April. When completed, the elevated park on the Clinton Avenue ramp underneath I-787 will link Downtown with the Corning Preserve. This will be a multi-use park designed for pedestrians and bicyclists, and it will be fully accessible.
Installation of 10 Sculptures Throughout Albany
Ten sculptures created by world-renowned artist Seward Johnson have been installed throughout the City. They’ll be on display through early November, and the public is encouraged to take photos with the sculptures and share on social media. Tag the Downtown Albany BID and use the hashtag #DowntownAlbany.
See a list of the sculptures and their locations: https://downtownalbany.org/sewardjohnson
Rensselaer’s Rudy’s V&R Revived in Albany
Rudy’s V&R was a Rensselaer restaurant that closed in 2009 and reopened as Red House Pub; the Italian restaurant recently reopened at 50 Exchange Street in Albany. These are the same owners as Baking You Crazy, also now closed. According to their Facebook page they serve breakfast and lunch all day and the fresh baked goods Baking You Crazy was known for.
Erie Canalway Photo Contest
Do you have a great photo of the Erie Canal? The 15th annual Erie Canalway photo contest is now open and accepting submissions through August 27. There are four categories: On the Water, Along the Trail, Canal Communities, and Classic Canal.
You can find the official rules and more details here: https://eriecanalway.org/get-involved/photo-contest
- Times Union: Rudy’s V&R name revived in West Albany location