||The annual Gazette Holiday Parade in Schenectady is a cause for celebration among all ages.
SCHENECTADY NY — Giant floats will light the streets of Schenectady at the 45th Annual Gazette Holiday Parade on Saturday, November 17th, 2012! This festive event is widely known as the largest nighttime holiday parade in the Northeast, and is held annually the Saturday before Thanksgiving. This year's theme: Magic and Myths!
The 2012 Gazette Holiday Parade will step off at 5pm at Schenectady County Community College, led by this year's Grand Marshal, Kathe Sheehan, owner of the Costumer. The parade will follow a route along State Street, continuing left down Lafayette Street and end at the corner of Lafayette and Franklin Street.
There will be over 100 entries to watch, including floats, bands, dance troupes, marching groups, decorated vehicles and more! All these entries will be competing for seven top prizes (highlighted below). Judges will be on the reviewing stand near Proctor's on the corner of Erie Blvd. and State Street.
This year's prizes and awards for entries include:
- Gazette Business Award -Winner will receive a complimentary half-page ad in The Daily Gazette
- Nonprofit Award - Winner will receive a $500 donation to their nonprofit organization
- Great Escape Company Youth Award - Winner will also receive 50 tickets to Great Escape for 2013 Season
- National Grid Red Suspenders Award - Winning Fire company will receive a $500 gift certificate to a local supermarket
- Stepping to the Music Award (musical group - band or dancers) - $500 donation to group's favorite “Friends of Music” program
- Key Hall Best Adaptation of the Theme Award
- Chamber’s Best of Parade Award
Expect to see a wide variety of magical and mythical characters this year in keeping with the 2012 theme: Magic and Myths. And be sure to catch a glimpse of the ever-popular Santa Claus float, which is provided by title sponsor The Gazette Newspapers and traditionally the grand finale, signaling the parade's end. Bring the family and join as many as 40,000 parade attendees who will come to be a part of the holiday fun in Schenectady!
The Gazette Holiday Parade in Schenectady is expected to run from 5:00pm - 8:00 pm. The parade continues rain or shine!
Public parking for the parade will be offered at Broadway Parking Garage, Broadway Surface Lot, Liberty and Franklin Street, Amtrak lot (Erie Blvd. & Liberty Street), Erie Blvd. & Liberty Street North, Schenectady ARC parking lot, Lot next to Kentucky Fried Chicken (Entrance off of Liberty Street) and City lot located off between Liberty and Franklin Street. (See a map)
To learn more about the 2012 Gazette Holiday Parade, contact Gail Hopper at
or call (518) 372-5656. This event is presented by the Chamber of Schenectady County and sponsored by The Gazette Newspapers.
Looking for more local holiday events? Discover the top annual Albany holiday events >>
<< Back To Albany Holiday Guide