Giant floats will light the streets of Schenectady at the 49th Annual Gazette Holiday Parade on Saturday, November 19, 2016 at 5pm! This festive event is widely known as the largest nighttime holiday parade in the Northeast, and is held annually the Saturday before Thanksgiving.
This year's theme is "Movies." There will be over 100 entries to watch, including floats, bands, dance troupes, marching groups, decorated vehicles, and more! All these entries will be competing for seven top prizes. Judges will be on the reviewing stand near Proctors. This event is presented by the Chamber of Schenectady County and sponsored by The Daily Gazette
The Daily Gazette is once again providing the epic Santa Claus float which will round out the end of the parade. The lineup includes fire trucks, horses, Newfoundland dogs, marchers, and of course, marching bands.
The event will be videotaped by Open Stage Media and shown on public access stations during the month of December.
At 3:30pm and 4pm the Schenectady Police Department will be closing many downtown streets including, but not limited to the following streets (intersecting streets will also be affected):
- State Street (Nott Terrace to Broadway): 3pm
- State Street (Broadway to the end of Western Gateway Bridge on the Scotia side): 4pm
- Western Gateway Bridge (closed in both directions): 4pm
- Erie Boulevard (State Street to Liberty Street): 4pm
- Broadway (Liberty Street to Hamilton Street): 4pm
- Lafayette Street (Liberty Street to State Street): 4pm
- Clinton Street (Smith Street to State Street): 4pm
- 1-890 Washington Avenue exits will be closed (4C Westbound, Rice Road Eastbound): 4pm
- Church Street (Argyle Place to Liberty Street): 4pm
Free public parking for spectators will be available at:
- Broadway Garage
- Broadway Surface lot
- Broadway and Franklin Street
- Amtrak lot (Erie Boulevard and Liberty Street)
- Erie Boulevard and Liberty Street North
- City lot located between Liberty Street and Franklin Street
Participate in or Support the Parade
Enter your float, marching band, decorated vechile, marchers, or dancers in this year's parade by completing the entry form here. The deadline for entries is November 7th! Enter a band with the entry form here.
If you're interesetd in sponsoring the parade, find information here.
Looking for more local holiday events? Discover the top annual Albany holiday events >>
<< Back To Albany Holiday Guide