The 67th Annual Tulip Festival: Saturday, May 9 - Sunday, May 10
ALBANY NY — This year’s Albany Tulip Festival runs Mother's Day weekend from Saturday, May 9 - Sunday, May 10, 2015 and boasts over 150 different kinds of tulips, fine arts exhibits, live music & entertainment and much more celebrating Albany's Dutch heritage! Admission to the Albany Tulip Festival is FREE.
Tulip Fest Highlights:
- Over 100,000 tulips in bloom
- Musical performances by nationally acclaimed artists
- Street scrubbing on State Street
- Tulip Queen Coronation
- Tulip Queen and Court Luncheon
- Royal Tulip Ball
- Children’s activities
- ..and more!
A Touch of Dutch: The Tulip Festival is a time for the city of Albany to celebrate its Dutch heritage as the oldest Dutch settlement in America. Girls in authentic Dutch costumes kick off the festival each year with the traditional scrubbing of State Street.
Schedule of Events
Tulip Festival Spring Traditions:
Friday, May 8
- Carillon Concert -11:30 a.m. -12:00 p.m.
Dr. Charles Semowich performs a special musical program on Albany City Hall's historic 1927 carillon, a unique instrument consisting of 49 bells that range in size from 27 to 11,200 pounds.
- Street Scrubbing -12:00 p.m.
State & Lodge Streets
The traditional Dutch ceremony of scrubbing the streets clean before a big celebration has served as the official kickoff to Tulip Festival weekend for 67 years. This unique Albany event will include Mayor Kathy Sheehan's Tulip Festival opening proclamation, and a procession from City Hall featuring a bagpiper from the Sons & Daughters of Erin Pipe Band, the Dutch Settlers Society (in full traditional Dutch dress), local scout troops and the 2015 Tulip Queen finalists.
- Tulip Festival Luncheon -12:30 p.m.
60 State Street
A farewell and thank you to 2014 Albany Tulip Queen Caitlin Whelan and her Court. Proceeds from the Tulip Festival Luncheon will benefit the Mayor's Literacy Campaign via the Tulip Fund at the Community Foundation for the Greater Capital Region. Tickets are required;
or call 518.331.3440 to purchase.
Saturday, May 9
- Tulip Queen Coronation
Washington Park Lakehouse
- Capitaland Chorus -11:00 a.m.
A chapter of Sweet Adelines International, Capitaland Chorus is an award-winning, diverse all-woman barbershop chorus.
- The Mendelssohn Club -11:30 a.m.
A local institution for over a century, this acclaimed male chorus is the longest continuously performing arts group in the Capital Region.
- Tulip Queen Procession -11:45 a.m.
Begins at formal Tulip Beds by Moses Statue
2014 Tulip Queen Caitlin Whelan, Mayor Kathy Sheehan, the Dutch Settlers Society and the Sons and Daughters of Erin Pipe Band lead the 2015 Tulip Queen finalists to the Lakehouse Stage.
- Tulip Queen Coronation -noon
Mayor Sheehan and 2014 Tulip Queen Caitlin Whelan crown the 67th Albany Tulip Queen in this traditional highlight of Tulip Festival weekend.
- Royal Tulip Ball -6:30 p.m.
90 State Street Events
An elegant evening of dining and dancing to honor the new Tulip Queen & Court. Proceeds benefit Capital Repertory Theatre. Tickets are required; to purchase, contact Capital Rep at 518.382.3884 x 187.
- Plus live music »
Sunday, May 10
- 17th Annual Mother of The Year Award -12:00 p.m.
Lakehouse Amphitheatre Stage
Mayor Sheehan and B95.5's Joe Condon recognize the Capital Region's most outstanding moms. Presented by St. Peter's Health Partners, Times Union & B95.5. Nominate your mom »
- Plus live music »
Plus, more family fun:
Saturday & Sunday
Presented by Price Chopper
- Featuring arts & crafts, inflatables, facepainting, live entertainment, and much more fun for all ages!
Price Chopper KidZone Stage
- Andy "The Music Man" Morse - 12:00 p.m., 2:15 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
Celebrating 20 years of entertaining audiences of all ages, The Music Man offers a high-energy show full of sing-a-longs, dancing and storytelling.
- The Incredible Larry - 12:45 p.m., 3:00 p.m., 5:15 p.m.
This interactive performance features world-class circus skills, juggling and hilarious physical comedy.
- Magic & Beyond - 1:30 p.m., 3:45 p.m. (Saturday Only)
Illusionist David Garrity and his magic team bring their exciting, family-oriented illusion spectacular to Washington Park!
- Mr. Twisty - 1:30 p.m., 3:45 p.m. (Sunday Only)
This super silly show is jam-packed with tons of magic, slapstick comedy and audience participation.
"GO GREEN" MARKET
- Presented by the City of Albany Department of General Services, this area highlights recycling tips from the Capital Region Recycling Partnership, information from Albany County Cornell Cooperative Extension and Albany County Soil and Water District, and vendors sharing energy-efficient resources, "green" ideas and more.
CANVAS, CORKS & FORKS (Saturday Only)
- Professional art instructors from Schenectadyâ€™s Canvas, Corks & Forks will guide you step-by-step in the creation of your very own masterpiece! All ages welcome, beer and wine available with ID (ticket fees apply).
MOTHER'S DAY SPA TENT (Sunday Only)
- This new section features specials and demos with health and wellness vendors on mom's special day (ticket fees apply).
DRAWING UP CENTRAL (Saturday Only)
10am - 2pm, Central Avenue & Quail Street
- The City of Albany and the Central Avenue Business Improvement District present this community-wide event featuring artists from all over the region competing for cash and prizes in a sidewalk chalk art contest in the heart of Central Avenue's Midtown Grid. For more information, call 518.462.4300.
PARKING & SHUTTLES
FREE CDTA shuttle runs continuously to Washington Park from Eagle Street Garage (at Eagle & Madison Ave) & Elk Street Parking Lot (at Elk & Hawk Streets) from noon-6 p.m.
Handicap parking is available at the UAlbany Thurlow Parking Lot at Western & Thurlow. Access the park via continuously running CDTA shuttles.
Go Green to the Festival! Ride your bicycle to Tulip Fest and park at the bike racks, near Willett Street & Madison Avenue.
Volunteer at Tulip Fest! – Be close to all the action and enjoy great perks as a Tulip Fest volunteer! Call 518.434.5411 to learn about volunteer opportunities.
The Albany Tulip Festival is conveniently scheduled on Mother’s Day weekend, so take Mom out to Washington Park in Albany for great music, vendors, tulips and fun!
Ground Rules In Effect: No alcoholic beverages, glass containers of any kind, animals or pets (excluding ADA-defined service animals). Any type of recording of the performance or presentation is prohibited without prior written consent. All attendees should be prepared to present age identification at any time if they intend to consume alcohol. Security personnel reserve the right to inspect any bag, container or package and confiscate any prohibited or illegal items.
See more upcoming Albany events »