Visit The 2017 Albany Tulip Festival
69th Annual Tulip Festival: Saturday, May 13 - Sunday, May 14
This year’s Albany Tulip Festival takes place during Mother's Day weekend - Saturday, May 13 - Sunday, May 14, 2017. The annual event boasts over 150 different kinds of tulips, fine arts exhibits, live music & entertainment, and much more in celebration of Albany's Dutch heritage!
Tulip Fest Highlights:
- Over 100,000 tulips in bloom
- Musical performances by nationally acclaimed artists
- Street scrubbing on State Street
- Tulip Queen Coronation
- Tulip Queen and Court Luncheon
- Royal Tulip Ball
- Children’s activities
- ..and more!
A Touch of Dutch: The Tulip Festival is a time for the city of Albany to celebrate its Dutch heritage as the oldest Dutch settlement in America. Girls in authentic Dutch costumes kick off the festival each year with the traditional scrubbing of State Street.
2017 Schedule of Events
Tulip Festival Spring Traditions:
Friday, May 12
- Washington Park Tulip Tour - 10:00 a.m., 1:00 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
Learn more about the vast variety of flowers planted for Tulip Fest with City Gardener Jessica Morgan. Free. Spaces are limited and reservations are required; call 518.434.2032 to reserve your place. (Weather permitting).
- Carillon Concert -11:30 a.m. -12:00 p.m.
Amy Heebner performs a special Tulip Festival musical program on Albany City Hall's historic 1927 carillon, a unique instrument consisting of 49 bells that range in size from 27 to 11,200 pounds.
- Street Scrubbing -12:00 p.m.
State & Lodge Streets
The traditional Dutch ceremony of scrubbing the streets clean before a big celebration has served as the official kickoff to Tulip Festival weekend for 69 years. This unique Albany event will include Mayor Kathy Sheehan's Tulip Festival opening proclamation and a procession with the Dutch Settlers Society (in full traditional Dutch dress), local scout troops, and the 2017 Tulip Queen finalists.
- Tulip Festival Luncheon -12:30 p.m.
Immediately following the street scrubbing, the Tulip Festival Luncheon is a farewell and thank you to 2016 Albany Tulip Queen Adaviah Ward and her Court. Proceeds from the Tulip Festival Luncheon will benefit the Tulip Court's educational programs via the Tulip Fund at the Community Foundation. Tickets are required; email tulipluncheon[at]gmail[dot]com or call 518.225.9785 to purchase.
Saturday, May 13
- Tulip Queen Coronation Ceremony
Washington Park Lakehouse
- The Mendelssohn Club -11:30 a.m.
A local institution for over a century, this acclaimed male chorus is the longest continuously performing arts group in the Capital Region.
- Tulip Queen Procession -11:45 a.m.
Begins at formal Tulip Beds by Moses Statue
2016 Tulip Queen Adaviah Ward, Mayor Kathy Sheehan and the Dutch Settlers Society lead the 2017 Tulip Queen finalists to the Lakehouse Stage.
- Tulip Queen Coronation -Noon
Mayor Sheehan and MC Chad O'Hara of B95.5 crown the 69th Albany Tulip Queen in this traditional highlight of Tulip Fest weekend.
- Royal Tulip Ball -6:30 p.m.
Albany Capital Center, 55 Eagle Street, Albany, NY
An elegant evening of dining and dancing to honor the new Tulip Queen & Court. Proceeds benefit Capital City Fund. Tickets are required; to purchase, contact Sarah Kampf at 518.209.1000 or tulipball[at]albanyny[dot]gov.
- Plus live music »
Sunday, May 14
- 19th Annual Mother of The Year Award -12:00 p.m.
Lakehouse Amphitheatre Stage
Mayor Sheehan and B95.5's Joe Condon recognize the Capital Region's most outstanding moms. Presented by St. Peter's Health Partners, Times Union & B95.5, with support from Fidelis Care. Nominate your mom »
- Plus live music »
More Tulip Festival Fun:
KIDZONESaturday & Sunday
Presented by Price Chopper & Market 32
- Enjoy continuous entertainment at the Price Chopper KidZone Stage, plus pony rides, a rock climbing wall, inflatables, facepainting, games, and more fun for the whole family!
Price Chopper KidZone Stage
- Artpartners/Tsehaya & Co. - 12:00 p.m.
- Park Playhouse - 12:15 p.m., 3:15 p.m.
- Andy "The Music Man" Morse - 1:00 p.m., 4:00 p.m.
- Stephen Gratto - 1:45 p.m., 4:45 p.m.
- Ruth Pelham of the Music Mobile - 2:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
Albany Medical Center KidZone Activity Tent
- Saturday: Albany Public Library’s pop-up secret garden library reading room offers games, crafts and activities for the whole family. You never know what hidden treasures will be in the secret garden!
- Sunday: Join the Boys and Girls Clubs of Albany for physical fitness activities and hands on crafts with the newly crowned 2017 Albany Tulip Queen and Court!
- This area highlights energy-efficient resources, "green" demonstrations and more.
SCHOOL OF ROCK TENT
- Young up-and-coming musicians enrolled in the School of Rock program perform throughout the weekend! Catch the stars of the future here first.
DRAWING UP CENTRAL (Saturday Only)
10am - 2pm, 283 Central Avenue (Between N. Lake & Quail)
- The City of Albany and the Central Avenue Business Improvement District present this community-wide event featuring artists from all over the region competing for cash and prizes in a sidewalk chalk art contest in the heart of Central Avenue's Midtown Grid. For more information, call 518.462.4300. To register, please visit www.centralbid.com.
CULTURAL HERITAGE TENT
Learn more about Albany’s Dutch heritage, its Sister City connection with Nijmegen, Netherlands, and the 70th anniversary of the city-wide humanitarian effort that helped inspire the very first Tulip Festival.
PARKING & SHUTTLES
FREE CDTA shuttle runs continuously to Washington Park from Eagle Street Garage (at Eagle & Madison Ave) & Elk Street Parking Lot (at Elk & Hawk Streets) throughout the festival.
Handicap parking available at Albany Medical Center lot at Robin & Morris Streets. A free, accessible CDTA shuttle runs to and from the Madison & New Scotland entrance to the park throughout the festival.
Volunteer at Tulip Fest! – Be close to all the action and enjoy great perks as a Tulip Fest volunteer! Call 518.434.5411 to learn about volunteer opportunities.
The Albany Tulip Festival is conveniently scheduled on Mother’s Day weekend, so take Mom out to Washington Park in Albany for great music, vendors, tulips and fun!
Ground Rules In Effect:
- No alcohol outside of designated beer garden area
- No glass containers
- No animals or pets (excluding ADA-defined service animals)
- No recording of performances
- All City of Albany parks are now tobacco-free.