Visit the 2019 Albany Tulip Festival
71st Annual Tulip Festival: Saturday, May 11 - Sunday, May 12
This year's Albany Tulip Festival takes place during Mother's Day weekend - Saturday, May 11 - Sunday, May 12, 2019. The annual event boasts over 150 different kinds of tulips, fine arts exhibits, live music & entertainment, and much more in celebration of Albany's Dutch heritage!
Tulip Fest Highlights:
- Over 100,000 tulips in bloom
- Musical performances by nationally acclaimed artists
- Street scrubbing on State Street
- Tulip Queen Coronation
- Tulip Queen and Court Luncheon
- Royal Tulip Ball
- Children's activities
- ...and more!
A Touch of Dutch: The Tulip Festival is a time for the City of Albany to celebrate its Dutch heritage as the oldest Dutch settlement in America. Girls in authentic Dutch costumes kick off the festival each year with the traditional scrubbing of State Street.
2019 Schedule of Events
Stay tuned! We will be updating our page with 2019 details as information is released. In the meantime, you can still view the 2018 schedule below for an idea of what to expect.
Tulip Festival Spring Traditions:
Monday, May 7 through Thursday, May 10
- Tulip Tours - 2:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m.
Friday, May 11
- Washington Park Tulip Beds - 10:00 a.m., 1:00 p.m., and 5:30 p.m.
Learn more about the vast variety of flowers planted for Tulip Fest with City Gardener Jessica Morgan. Free. Spaces are limited and reservations are required; call 518.434.2032 to reserve your place. (Weather permitting.)
- Carillon Concert - 11:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Amy Heebner performs a special Tulip Festival musical program on Albany City Hall's historic 1927 carillon, a unique instrument consisting of 49 bells that range in size from 27 to 11,200 pounds.
- Street Scrubbing - Noon
State & Lodge Streets
The traditional Dutch ceremony of scrubbing the streets clean before a big celebration has served as the official kickoff to Tulip Festival weekend for 70 years. This unique Albany event will include Mayor Kathy Sheehan's Tulip Festival opening proclamation and a procession with the Dutch Settlers Society (in full traditional Dutch dress), local scout troops, and the 2018 Tulip Queen finalists.
- Tulip Festival Luncheon - 12:30 p.m.
Immediately following the street scrubbing, the Tulip Festival Luncheon is a farewell and thank you to 2017 Albany Tulip Queen Ashley Loggins and her Court. Proceeds from the Tulip Festival Luncheon will benefit the Tulip Court's educational programs via the Tulip Fund at the Community Foundation. Tickets are required; email tulipluncheon[at]gmail[dot]com to purchase.
Saturday, May 12
- Tulip Queen Coronation Ceremony
Washington Park Lakehouse
- Tulip Queen Procession - 11:45 a.m.
Begins at formal Tulip Beds by Moses Statue
2017 Tulip Queen Ashley Loggins, Mayor Kathy Sheehan, and the Dutch Settlers Society lead the 2018 Tulip Queen finalists to the Lakehouse Stage.
- Tulip Queen Coronation - Noon
Mayor Sheehan and MC Chad O'Hara of B95.5 crown the 70th Albany Tulip Queen in this traditional highlight of Tulip Fest weekend.
- Royal Tulip Ball - 6:30 p.m.
Albany Capital Center, 55 Eagle Street, Albany, NY
An elegant evening of dining and dancing to honor the new Tulip Queen & Court. Proceeds benefit Capital City Fund. Tickets are required; to purchase, contact Sarah Kampf at 518.209.1000 or tulipball[at]albanyny[dot]gov.
- Plus live music »
Sunday, May 13
- 20th Annual Mother of The Year Award - 12:00 p.m.
Local 518 Stage
Mayor Sheehan and B95.5's Joe Condon recognize the Capital Region's most outstanding moms. Presented by St. Peter's Health Partners, Times Union, and B95.5. Flowers provided by Ambiance Floral and Design. Nominations open April 9th. Nominate your mom »
- Plus live music »
More Tulip Festival Fun:
KIDZONESaturday & Sunday
Presented by Price Chopper & Market 32
- Enjoy performances from Park Playhouse, Andy “the Music Man” Morse, pony rides, a rock climbing wall, inflatables, facepainting, games, and more fun for the whole family!
KidZone Activity Tent
- Saturday: Presented by Fidelis Care, join Albany Public Library and other local libraries in the Pop-Up Library Tent for stories, games, crafts, and activities! Come check out a children’s book or challenge your young one’s skill with life-size games.
- Sunday: Join the City of Albany Department of Recreation for physical fitness activities and hands-on crafts with the newly crowned 2018 Albany Tulip Queen and Court!
SCHOOL OF ROCK TENT
11am - 6pm, North of the First Aid Station
- Young up-and-coming musicians enrolled in the School of Rock program perform throughout the weekend! Catch the stars of the future here first.
PARKING & SHUTTLES
A FREE CDTA shuttle runs to Washington Park from three designated locations:
- Elk Street Parking Lot: Located behind the State Education Building - the pick-up location will be Elk and Hawk at the stop sign.
- Eagle Street Parking Lot: Located at the corner of Eagle Street and Madison Avenue.
- Albany Medical Center Parking Lot: Located off Robin Street, for customers needing extra assistance or in a wheelchair. This particular shuttle will drop passengers off at the Madison Avenue/New Scotland entrance to the park.
Shuttles will run every 20 to 25 minutes depending on traffic. All parking lots are free to use the weekend of Tulip Festival.
Volunteer at Tulip Fest! - Be close to all the action and enjoy great perks as a Tulip Fest volunteer! Call 518.434.2032 to learn about volunteer opportunities.
The Albany Tulip Festival is conveniently scheduled on Mother's Day weekend, so take Mom out to Washington Park in Albany for great music, vendors, tulips, and fun!
Ground Rules In Effect:
- No alcohol outside of designated beer garden area
- No glass containers
- No animals or pets (excluding ADA-defined service animals)
- No recording of performances
- All City of Albany parks are now tobacco-free