Experience the Reimagined 2021 Virtual Albany Tulip Festival
Albany Tulip Festival is one of the most popular annual events in Albany, NY that typically draws tens of thousands of people to Washington Park each year. However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the City of Albany has reimagined the 2021 Tulip Festival as a virtual celebration that will take place throughout the entire month of May.
2021 Albany Virtual Tulip Fest Highlights
Similar to the 2020 Virtual Albany Tulip Festival, this year's event will feature a mix of virtual programming and tulip-related content, including:
- Over 100,000 tulips in bloom
- City gardeners will provide frequent video and photo updates so you can still experience the beauty of the tulips from the comfort and safety of your own home.
- The #518TulipTracker is back for 2021 and brought to you by Discover Albany, Citizens Bank, Albany Events, and Albany's Department of General Services. Search for the hashtag in social media and check out the latest photos and videos featuring the city's beautiful tulips.
- Musical performances
- Throughout the month of May, the Virtual Tulip Festival will feature great musical performances from local talents at unique locations.
- Stay tuned for videos from Ruth Pelham, Girl Blue, Melvin the Magnificent, Red Book Shelf, Lark Street Yoga Classes, Art Partners, Albany Public Library, Park Playhouse, and more to be announced!
- Limited In-Person Tulip Tours
- From May 3 - 14, limited in-person tulip tours with City Gardeners will be offered! Tours will be socially distanced and masks are required to attend. Very limited space is available, and sign up is required.
- Tulip Dig & Sale
- The popular Tulip Dig & Sale is returning for 2021 and will be held on Saturday, May 29 and Sunday, May 30.
- And more fun videos and activities!
Note: Washington Park will be open to the public throughout May, but the City of Albany asks that visitors adhere to social distancing.
Further details about the Virtual Tulip Festival will be released as the event nears. Videos will premiere on the City of Albany's YouTube Page "Albany Events," on their Facebook page @AlbanyNYevents, and on Public Access Channel Albany 1302.
Although all of the event's in-person traditions and happenings have been canceled for 2021, we can still enjoy Albany Tulip Festival virtually thanks to City of Albany's Office of Cultural Affairs and Citizens Bank.
Past Tulip Festival Traditions We Can Look Forward to Again in 2022
Please note that the following Albany Tulip Festival traditions were last held in 2019. We look forward to these in-person events and festivities returning in 2022.
- Tulip Tours
Washington Park, Albany, NY
Learn more about the vast variety of flowers planted for Tulip Fest. Tours are free to attend.
- Street Scrubbing
State & Lodge Streets, Albany, NY
The traditional Dutch ceremony of scrubbing the streets clean before a big celebration serves as the official kickoff to Tulip Festival weekend.
- Tulip Festival Luncheon
Immediately following the street scrubbing, the Tulip Festival Luncheon is a farewell and thank you to the previous year's Albany Tulip Queen and her Court. Proceeds from the Tulip Festival Luncheon will benefit the Tulip Court's educational programs via the Tulip Fund at the Community Foundation.
- Tulip Queen Coronation (Note: A separate, socially distanced celebration is planned for 2021)
Mayor Sheehan and MC Chad O'Hara of B95.5 crown the next Albany Tulip Queen in this traditional highlight of Tulip Fest weekend.
- Royal Tulip Ball
An elegant evening of dining and dancing to honor the new Tulip Queen & Court.