Attend the Virtual 2020 Albany Tulip Festival
The Tulip Festival is one of the most popular annual events in Albany NY and draws tens of thousands of people to Washington Park each year. 2020 is different than your average year, though, as the COVID-19 pandemic has forced us all to stay home to stop the spread of the virus. Although all of the Tulip Festival's in-person traditions and happenings have been canceled for this year, we can still enjoy the 2020 Tulip Festival virtually, thanks to Discover Albany, the City of Albany's Office of Cultural Affairs, and Citizens Bank.
Virtual Tulip Fest Highlights:
- Musical and magical performances
- Tune into the Albany Events YouTube channel at noon on Saturday, May 9, to see musical performances from local talents like The Age, Erin Harkes, Hartley's Encore, Caity Gallagher, and many others. There will also be a magic show just for kids by Melvin the Magnificent.
- Over 100,000 tulips in bloom
- City gardeners will provide frequent video and photo updates so you can still experience the beauty of the tulips from the comfort and safety of your own home. View their video updates on the Albany Events YouTube channel.
- Post photos of your own tulips or tulips that you see when you're out on walks or drives around your area
- Self-guided tulip and garden driving tour
- Follow Discover Albany's route to admire tulips and other flowers in and around Albany County, just remember to continue practicing social distancing!
- Takeout specials from local restaurants
- More tulip-related social distancing activities and online content
Past Years' Traditions We Can Look Forward To Again In 2021:
- Tulip Tours
Washington Park, Albany, NY
Learn more about the vast variety of flowers planted for Tulip Fest with City Gardener Jessica Morgan. Tours are free to attend.
- Carillon Concert
Outside Albany City Hall, Albany, NY
Amy Heebner performs a special Tulip Festival musical program on Albany City Hall's historic 1927 carillon, a unique instrument consisting of 49 bells that range in size from 27 to 11,200 pounds.
- Street Scrubbing
State & Lodge Streets, Albany, NY
The traditional Dutch ceremony of scrubbing the streets clean before a big celebration has served as the official kickoff to Tulip Festival weekend for 71 years. This unique Albany event will include Mayor Kathy Sheehan's Tulip Festival opening proclamation and a procession from City Hall.
- Tulip Festival Luncheon
90 State Street, Albany, NY
Immediately following the street scrubbing, the Tulip Festival Luncheon is a farewell and thank you to the previous year's Albany Tulip Queen and her Court. Proceeds from the Tulip Festival Luncheon will benefit the Tulip Court's educational programs via the Tulip Fund at the Community Foundation.
- The Mendelssohn Club
Washington Park Lakehouse Stage, Albany, NY
A local institution for over a century, this acclaimed male chorus is the longest continuously performing arts group in the Capital Region.
- Tulip Queen Procession
Begins at formal Tulip Beds by Moses Statue in Washington Park
The previous year's Tulip Queen, Mayor Kathy Sheehan, and the Dutch Settlers Society lead this year's Tulip Queen finalists to the Lakehouse Stage.
- Tulip Queen Coronation
Mayor Sheehan and MC Chad O'Hara of B95.5 crown the next Albany Tulip Queen in this traditional highlight of Tulip Fest weekend.
- Royal Tulip Ball
60 State Place, Albany, NY
An elegant evening of dining and dancing to honor the new Tulip Queen & Court. Proceeds benefit Capital City Fund.
- 21st Annual Mother of The Year Award
Washington Park Lakehouse Stage
Mayor Sheehan and B95.5's Joe Condon recognize the Capital Region's most outstanding moms. Presented by St. Peter's Health Partners, Times Union, and B95.5.
- Plus live music »