Memory Care in Albany, NY and the Capital Region
Residing in a memory care community is an ideal option for many seniors suffering from Alzheimer's disease, dementia, or other memory impairments. These communities are typically designed to accommodate the needs of elderly individuals with memory loss and provide a watchful, supportive, and safe environment for many seniors as they age.
What Kind of Care Do Memory Care Facilities Provide?
Typically, memory care facilities serve individuals who are in the early to middle stages of memory impairment. This means that residents are typically mobile and may require a moderate level of supervision but do not require the level of care provided by a nursing home.
How Do I Select the Right Memory Care Facility?
When beginning the search for the perfect memory care facility for you or your loved one, there are a number of important factors to consider. Firstly, consider what level of care will be most appropriate and decide what types of services and amenities are necessary. It’s important to remember that even though memory care facilities are often units associated with assisted living communities, memory care is distinctly different from assisted living.
Staff members working in memory care units have specialized training and are specifically qualified to assist individuals with memory impairments and cognitive disabilities. As you begin your research, also keep the memory facility eligibility requirements in mind. You want to be sure that the facility provides adequate care and appropriate services, and that you or your loved one can fulfill the admission requirements. Memory care can be expensive, so you’ll also want to consider cost as you embark on your search.
Begin the search process by talking to your doctor, friends, family and neighbors in your area and doing some online research. Your doctor will likely be able to offer suggestions about facilities that offer the appropriate level of care. Friends, family members and neighbors will be able to give you hints, advice and suggestions from their experiences with facilities in the region.
Online research will help you to more thoroughly understand the technical details of the facilities you are considering, such as cost, services available and admission requirements. There are a number of renowned memory care facilities in the Capital Region, so researching your memory care facility options is key to finding the perfect fit.
Once you’ve narrowed your options, visit the facilities you feel are top contenders. Be sure to visit a few facilities so you are able to compare and contrast them. Visit multiple times if possible, and at least once unexpectedly so that you catch an authentic glimpse of the activities at the facility. Consider how the staff interact with the residents, note the amenities and services available and do your best to get a sense of the overall atmosphere.Be sure to ask a lot of questions during your facility visits. Below is a list of recommended questions to get you started:
- What level of care does the memory care community or facility provide?
- Are facility and staff licensing and training requirements met?
- Are there specific visiting hours?
- How are medical emergencies handled?
- What will happen if myself or my loved one eventually require a higher level of care that cannot be provided at this facility?
- Is the facility clean and safe? Is there good natural lighting? Is it a comfortable temperature?
- Are the room and common area features adequate?
- Is the facility floorplan easy to navigate?
- Is the community secure and are residents adequately supervised?
- Is the facility location convenient for family members and visitors?
Admission and Fees
- Is there a waiting list or can I (or my loved one) move in immediately?
- What are the admission requirements?
- What are the billing and payment policies and rates?
- Do costs vary based on services provided? Are there additional costs for some services?
- What insurances and governmental financing options (i.e. Medicare, Medicaid, etc) are accepted?
Residents and Staff
- Are the staff members attentive and approachable?
- Is there an appropriate staff-to-resident ratio?
- Do the residents seem well cared for and content?
- Do the staff members seem to genuinely care?
- How do the staff members communicate with family members about the residents’ well-being?
- What kinds of recreational and social activities are available for residents?
- Are housekeeping and laundry services provided for residents?
- Does the food look and smell appetizing? How does it taste? Are specific food requests accommodated?
- Are bathrooms easily accessible?
- Are common areas spacious and comfortable?
- What types of exercise and therapy programs does the facility offer?
- Are all resident areas secure to ensure the safety of residents who may wander?
- What is the discharge policy for residents?
The Albany, NY area is a great place to seek safe, high quality memory care for seniors.