Tips for A Fun & Safe Halloween in Albany
Halloween night is an evening for spooks, candy, and fun, but if you're not safe, the fun can end pretty quickly. Below is a rundown of safety tips, whether you're walking about with your little ones trick-or-treating or you're the one handing out the candy. Stay safe out there!
- Younger children should always be accompanied by adults.
- Only walk on sidewalks and designated paths.
- Follow traffic rules - look both ways before crossing the street and keep an eye out for cars.
- Make sure costumes are bright enough that cars can see you and your kids, or wear reflective tape.
- Carry flashlights - they can be spooky and safe!
- Try using face paint instead of masks to avoid obstructing your child's vision.
- Make sure the trick-or-treat route circles back to your home.
- Keep your front yard clear of debris.
- Make sure your house is well-lit for trick-or-treaters.
- Consider using glowsticks in jack-o-lanterns instead of candles for fire safety.
- Restrain pets that may scare trick-or-treaters.
- If creating a haunted house, keep the terror safe, and don't target small children.
Candy Health & Safety
- Know if your child has allergies or candies he or she cannot eat.
- Limit the amount of candy kids eat while trick-or-treating and after - save some for later!
- Examine treats for any choking hazards or tampering.
- Encourage kids to eat filling, healthy meals the day of trick-or-treating.