Favorite Fall Comfort Foods in the Capital Region
Featuring acres of fun activities, Ellms Family Farm is a fall destination. Located a short drive from Saratoga in Ballston Spa, Ellms offers dozens of things to do, including corn mazes, a pumpkin patch, ziplines, pedal carts, a jump pad, and more! Learn More »
Fall means flannels, cider doughnuts, hot coffee, comfort food, and pumpkin flavored everything, and you can enjoy it all here in the Capital Region. The next time you're craving fall food and drinks, here are some top local spots that are worth the trip.
Apple Cider Doughnuts
Cider doughnuts are the perfect indulgence on any fall day. Pair them with coffee, hot chocolate, or apple cider fresh from an orchard. Discover why people are willing to stand in long lines for these fall treats by buying some for yourself at one of the following farms and shops:
- Ellms Family Farm in Ballston Spa
- Emack & Bolio's in Albany
- Riverview Orchards in Rexford
- Indian Ladder Farms in Altamont
- Lansing's Farm Market in Schenectady
Coffee is fantastic all year, but particularly in the fall! Albany is full of great coffee shops and cafes - many of which serve pumpkin spice lattes, exactly what most of us are craving come September and October.
Even if you're not a coffee person, there's often a variety of other beverages available, and there are certainly baked goods and pastries at these excellent coffee shops:
- Honest Weight Food Co-op Cafe is more than a grocery store as they offer a selection of light to dark roast coffees, herbal teas, and specialty drinks that change weekly.
- Café con Mel in Cohoes is the ideal spot for a perfectly made latte, delicious baked goods, and lunch on the go.
- Palette Cafe in Schenectady offers an amazing selection of lattes and drinks, and they have second location in Saratoga Springs too.
- The Daily Grind, with locations in Albany and Troy, offers excellent coffee and sells coffee beans.
- Perfect Blend Cafe in Delmar has the ultimate atmosphere for getting your caffeine fix, and they have a great selection of drinks and treats.
- Professor Java's in Albany roasts their coffee on site, switches up flavors often, and has a wide assortment of teas too.
Soup & Chili
Doesn't a steaming cup of soup really hit the spot on a crisp fall day? Nothing beats homemade soup if you end up making your own at home - the slow cooker is your friend! - but if you'd like to skip the work and head to a restaurant, here's where you can find excellent soup:
- The Barnsider in Albany has three delicious options for soup: French onion, clam chowder, and a soup of the day.
- The Hollow Bar + Kitchen in Albany has a to-die-for three-bean lager chili as well as three-bean lager chili nachos under their list of Pub Fare. Be sure to look for soups under the Starters section!
- Lakeview on Crystal Lake is a family-friendly restaurant in Averill Park that offers homemade soups and sandwiches, pizza, seafood, and more.
Macaroni and Cheese
Mac and cheese - it's the ultimate comfort food! Warm cheese, soft noodles, and even more cheese. Whether you prefer a classic macaroni and cheese, or you like to get a bit more creative with the addition of bacon or other add-ons, the Albany area has some great choices:
- Albany Pump Station in Albany offers a decadent white cheddar mac n' cheese as well as a fried mac n' cheese bites appetizer.
- Druthers Brewing Company in Albany, Saratoga, and Schenectady serves award-winning mac and cheese.