Favorite Fall Comfort Foods in the Capital RegionFall means flannels, cider doughnuts, hot coffee, comfort food, and pumpkin flavored everything, and you can enjoy it all here in the Capital Region. The next time you're craving fall food and drinks, here are some top local spots that are worth the trip.
Cider doughnuts are the perfect indulgence after a day of apple picking. Pair them with coffee, hot chocolate, or apple cider. Here in the Albany area, many orchards around the region offer cider doughnuts. Discover why people are willing to stand in long lines for these fall treats by checking them out at one of the following orchards and farms:
- Riverview Orchards in Rexford
- Indian Ladder Farms in Altamont
- Lansing's Farm Market in Schenectady
Macaroni and Cheese
Mac and cheese - it's the ultimate comfort food! Warm cheese, soft noodles, and even more cheese. Whether you prefer a classic macaroni and cheese, or you like to get a bit more creative with the addition of bacon or other add-ons, the Albany area has some great choices:
- City Beer Hall has multiple mac and cheese options on the menu, including the basic cheddar variety and the more tantalizing buffalo. For chili lovers, they also serve "chili mac" - a delicious combination of cheddar mac and cheese plus brisket chili.
- Albany Pump Station in Albany offers a decadent seafood mac and cheese, mac and cheese with bacon, and other options.
- Druthers Brewing Company in Albany, Saratoga, and Schenectady serves award-winning mac and cheese.
Soup & Chili
Doesn't a steaming bowl or cup of soup really hit the spot on a crisp fall day? Nothing beats homemade soup if you end up making your own at home - the slow cooker is your friend! - but if you'd like to skip the work and head to a restaurant, here's where you can find excellent soup:
- The Barnsider in Albany has three delicious options for soup: French onion, clam chowder, and a soup of the day.
- Restaurant Navona has unique soup offerings that change regularly, such as an artichoke and potato cream soup.
- The Hollow Bar + Kitchen in Albany has a to-die-for three-bean lager chili as well as three-bean lager chili nachos.
Coffee is fantastic all year, but particularly in the fall! Albany is full of great coffee shops and cafes - many of which serve pumpkin spice lattes, exactly what most of us are craving come September and October.
Even if you're not a coffee person, there's often a variety of other beverages available, and there are certainly baked goods and pastries at these excellent coffee shops:
- Honest Weight Food Co-op Cafe is more than a grocery store as they offer a selection of light to dark roast coffees, herbal teas, and specialty drinks that change weekly.
- The Daily Grind, with locations in Albany and Troy, offers excellent coffee and sells coffee beans.
- Perfect Blend Cafe in Delmar has the ultimate atmosphere for getting your caffeine fix, and they have a great selection of drinks and treats.
- Professor Java's in Albany roasts their coffee on site, switches up flavors often, and has a wide assortment of teas too.