Favorite Fall Comfort Foods in the Capital RegionGone are the warm, breezy days of patio dining in Albany, and in comes the brisk autumn air. Fall equals cider doughnuts, hot coffee, and pumpkin flavored everything, and no one does autumn comfort foods better than Albany.
Cider doughnuts are the perfect indulgence after a day of apple picking. Pair them with coffee, hot chocolate, or apple cider. Most orchards around the region offer cider doughnuts. Discover why people are willing to stand in long lines for cider doughnuts by checking them out at one of the following orchards and farms:
- Bowman Orchards in Rexford
- Indian Ladder Farms in Altamont
- Lansing's Farm Market in Schenectady
Macaroni and Cheese
Buffalo mac and cheese at Pearl Street Pub, photo credit: Alan Nudi
Mac and cheese - it's the ultimate comfort food! Warm cheese, soft noodles, and even more cheese. Whether you prefer a classic macaroni and cheese, or you like to get a bit more creative with the addition of bacon or other add-ons, the Albany area has some great choices:
- Albany Pump Station in Albany offers a decadent seafood mac and cheese and other options.
- Pearl Street Pub in Albany has a buffalo chicken mac and cheese with seven different cheeses.
- Druthers Brewing Company in Albany, Saratoga, and Schenectady serves award-winning mac and cheese.
Soup & Chili
Doesn't a steaming bowl or cup of soup really hit the spot on a crisp fall day? Nothing beats homemade soup if you end up making your own at home - the slow cooker is your friend! - but if you'd like to skip the work and head to a restaurant here's where you can find excellent soup:
- The Century House in Latham offers a flavorful lobster chowder and three onion soup.
- The Hollow Bar + Kitchen in Albany has a to-die-for three-bean ale chili and French onion soup.
Coffee is fantastic all year, but particularly in the fall! Albany is full of great coffee shops and cafes - many of which serve pumpkin spice lattes, exactly what most of us are craving come September and October.
Even if you're not a coffee person, there's often a variety of other beverages available, and there are certainly baked goods and pastries as well at these excellent coffee shops:
- The Daily Grind, with locations in Albany and Troy, offers excellent coffee and sells coffee beans.
- Perfect Blend Cafe in Delmar has the ultimate atmosphere for getting your caffeine fix, and they have a great selection of drinks and treats.
- Professor Java's in Albany roasts their coffee on site, switches up flavors often, and has a wide assortment of teas too.