Assisted Living in Albany, NY and the Capital Region
For many seniors and their loved ones, the decision to move into an assisted living facility is often a difficult one to make. Besides being an emotionally charged decision, much of the decision to move into an assisted living facility is based on finances and necessity.
What Are Assisted Living Communities?
Assisted living communities are ideal for individuals who still want to lead an independent life, but may need assistance with daily tasks or certain medical or personal needs. These communities ensure that residents' basic needs are met, which provides peace of mind and enables them to retain their independence. These basic needs include daily meals, dressing, bathing, help with medication, transportation, and personal mobility.
For an additional cost, many assisted living communities will also provide houskeeping services, access to health care services, Alzheimer's care, round the clock security, an emergency call system, financial tasks, exercise programs, and personal laundry services in addition to various social and recreational activities.
How Do I Select the Right Community?
The best way to choose the right assisted living community is to visit them. Before you visit, however, compile a list of questions that cover different aspects of life at the assisted living community. Each assisted living community you visit will have similarities and differences, so make sure to bring a pad for notetaking and a folder to keep any brochures or supplemental materials you may recieve while on your tour.
Here is a recommended list of questions broken out into various categories to help you get started:
- Does the facility feel home-like? Do you like the decor? Is it warm, welcoming and comfortable?
- Do you have a private bathroom? Does it have grab bars?
- Is there enough closet/storage space? Is there enough natural lighting?
- Do you have a full apartment with a kitchen? Are the cabinets easy to reach?
- Speak with the residents and staff. Does the staff seem to genuinely care?
- Would you enjoy spending time with other residents? Do you share common interests?
- Are the residents somewhat independent? Is there a social activity in the common areas?
- Do the residents seem happy?
- Is the staff present at all times? Are all of the entrances and exits secured?
- Is there an emergency call system installed in each room? Are the halls and grounds well lit?
- Are there handrails in the hallways? Are the hallways and doorways wide enough for walkers and wheelchairs?
- Is there a monthly events calendar posted? Are there spiritual/religious services on site?
- Are there transportation schedules to shopping centers? Is there an easily accessible workout facility on site?
- Is the assisted living community located close to a beauty salon or barber, mall, library or grocery store?
Albany, NY and the greater Capital Region are home to many assisted living communities. If you're searching for an assisted living community for yourself or a loved one, make sure to be thorough in your search and ask as many questions as possible to ensure the perfect fit.
If you're an adult currently seeking senior care for your elderly parents, please visit our guide on Choosing Senior Living For Your Parents. There you'll discover useful tips and advice that can help make finding senior living for your aging parents an easier process.