In the spirit of community and giving back, companies will participate in charity events and fundraising to show that they care and to feel good about the efforts they undertake. However, a common theme I hear back from many people I encounter that the charity efforts seem to take on more of a chore-like feeling when the following occur:
1. Little input from members of the group on which charity to support
2. Incorporating charity into every meeting and event regardless of relevance
3. Too many people asking for too many different funds and causes at meetings
4. Year-round charity efforts instead of “pledge-drives”
5. Donating to charities who use the money on heavy administrative costs
The next time you or your company decide to participate in a charity event, be sure to get buy in from your staff and supporters and ensure that you are doing charity for the right reasons, not for publicity or for the hell of it.