As I mentioned in Part 1, I received 3 job offers from the career fair. About two weeks after the fair, after followup interviews, I received an offer that I accepted. However, it was not the job that was my first choice. I had grown frustrated waiting for the job offer that I had seemingly in the bag after having a formal offer nearly presented that wasjust awaiting final approval.
I waited one week for that final approval to come in, and when it did not, I was up against time. I had only budgeted myself to be out of work for three weeks, and the offer was competitive, and the opportunity interesting.
Upon accepting the offer from the second company, the first choice company called and finally made an offer. I was torn; do I turn back the offer I already accepted, or politely turn down the opportunity that offered more money and possibly more advancement?
I called back the second company and said I’d like a day or so to reconsider. They were stunned by this, but nonetheless gave me the opportunity to pursue the other opportunity, although I really think they felt I was shutting the door on them.
I sat on it for a day, and after a couple unreturned phone calls from company number one, I then called back the second company and am glad that they still were willing to let me join the team. It just felt right.
Lesson learned: I went with my gut feeling, and I was right. Although the first choice company seemed more appealing and more nationally known, my second choice ended helping me get into the best shape of my life and teach me valuable sales skills I’d take with me further along in my journey.
I also learned that if a company really wants you, they will give you the time to think about the opportunity some more, but you need to be careful that you don’t accept an offer before you are positive you are not going to reconsider.