The information you are viewing for this event is from 2016.
Please check back for updates.
2016 Schenectady Daily Gazette Holiday Parade
The Chamber of Schenectady County will present the 49th Annual Daily Gazette Holiday Parade, slated to step off at 5pm Saturday, November 19th in downtown Schenectady.
The parade attracts 15,000 spectators who will line State Street for what is widely known as the largest nighttime parade in the Northeast. The two-hour parade is held rain or shine - or snow!
This year's theme is "Movies." The parade will progress up State Street from Schenectady County Community College, including more than 100 floats, bands, marchers, dance troupes, and decorated vehicles vying for seven top prizes.
The parade's title sponsor, The Daily Gazette, will once again provide the Santa Claus float, which traditionally signals the parade's end and is eagerly awaited by thousands of children. The lineup includes fire trucks, horses, Newfoundland dogs, marchers, and of course, marching bands.
The event will be videotaped by Open Stage Media and shown on public access stations during the month of December.
At 3:30pm and 4pm the Schenectady Police Department will be closing many downtown streets including, but not limited to the major following streets (intersecting streets will also be affected):
- State Street (Nott Terrace to Broadway): 3pm
- State Street (Broadway to the end of Western Gateway Bridge on the Scotia side): 4pm
- Western Gateway Bridge (closed in both directions): 4pm
- Erie Boulevard (State Street to Liberty Street): 4pm
- Broadway (Liberty Street to Hamilton Street): 4pm
- Lafayette Street (Liberty Street to State Street): 4pm
- Clinton Street (Smith to State Street): 4pm
- 1-890 Washington Avenue exits will be closed (4C Westbound, Rice Road Eastbound): 4pm
- Church Street (Argyle Place to Liberty Street): 4pm
Free public parking for spectators will be available at:
- Broadway Garage
- Broadway Surface lot
- Broadway and Franklin Street
- Amtrak lot (Erie Boulevard and Liberty Street)
- Erie Boulevard and Liberty Street North
- City lot located between Liberty and Franklin Street
Participate in or Support the Parade
Enter your float, marching band, decorated vechile, marchers, or dancers in this year's parade by completing the entry form here. The deadline for entries is November 7th! Enter a band with the entry form here.
If you're interesetd in sponsoring the parade, find information here.