The Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) Athletics program in Troy, NY is a cornerstone of campus life and the student experience. Featuring 23 men's and women's intercollegiate varsity teams, the RPI Engineers compete in 24 sports.
About 70% of undergraduate students at RPI actively participate in the university's extensive athletics program. Over the past decade, RPI has ranked high in the U.S. in the number of National Academic All-Americans.
Varsity Athletics at RPI
Two of RPI's intercollegiate varisty teams are Division I, and 21 are Division III.
Men's Varisty Sports: Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey (Division I), Indoor Track & Field, Lacrosse, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track & Field
Women's Varisty Sports: Basketball, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Ice Hockey (Division I), Indoor Track & Field, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track & Field
Intramural and Recreational Programs
Even if you're not at the varsity level, there is a sport or recreational activity for you at RPI. Their two intramural leagues are subdivided to accommodate students, faculty, and staff who are interested.
The university's intramural athletic program offers competition in multiple sports, including: Baseball, Basketball, Billiards, Golf, Gym Hockey, Ice Hockey, Indoor Soccer, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Flag Football, Track, Badminton, Aerobics, Wallyball, Wiffleball, Dodgeball, and Voyyelball.
Spectators are welcome to attend home games at RPI. There are several on-campus facilities where the RPI Engineers and intramural teams compete throughout the school year.
- East Campus Athletic Village - Contains a lighted stadium with field turf and seating for 5,200 spectators, a 1,200-seat basketball arena, and much more
- '87 Gymnasium - There are two general purpose gymnasiums, a climbing wall, handball and squash courts, an indoor track, and a wrestling room
- Alumni Sports and Recreation Center - A large center with an indoor track, basketball, volleyball, and tennis courts, and a pool
- Houston Field House - The field house is home to an ice rink, locker and team rooms, and seating for 4,800 spectators
- Harkness Track & Field - Featuring jumping areas and an eight-lane track around a turf field
- Mueller Center - Fitness center for cardio-vascular, weights, aerobics, and more